From Dr. Cheryl May, CJI Director:
My staff at the Criminal Justice Institute is honored to serve and support law enforcement officers, both in Arkansas and across our Nation.
Law enforcement officers make tremendous sacrifices every day to safeguard our communities. National Police Week is a special time set aside each year to pay special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.
This year, the names of 394 officers killed in the line of duty are being added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC. Five of these officers are from Arkansas:
- Officer Travis C. Wallace, Helena-West Helena Police Department
- Corporal Brent William Perry Scrimshire, Hot Springs Police Department
- James L. “Buck” Dancy, North Little Rock Police Department
- Detective Kevin Dwaine Collins, Pine Bluff Police Department
- Constable Ed Allen, Rogers Police Department
We hope you’ll join us this week in paying homage to our heroes in blue and remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.