This course certifies law enforcement officers as Drug Recognition Experts. Participants will learn classification of drugs and their observable effects. Students will be required to successfully complete the DRE School that will be held at the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, AR on February 15-19 and 21-26, 2021.
Upon successful completion of DRE School, the candidate will be required to attend the Field Evaluation Phase of the training. This will be held in Northwest Arkansas on March 5-6, 2021. DRE Candidates will complete twelve required DRE evaluations on impaired subjects.
For students traveling more than 50 miles to either location of training, lodging will be provided and all meals and mileage (personal vehicles only) will be reimbursed, if not provided. Any reimbursement will be at the state per diem rate.
The deadline for applications will be January 25, 2021. For questions or more information, contact Traffic Safety Program Manager/State DRE Coordinator Ken Slocum at firstname.lastname@example.org or (501)570-8035.
- This course is 72 hours
- This course earns credits in our Degree Program
- Must be 24-hour SFST certified
- Must have completed Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE)
- Must complete DRE Application packet attached to the links below and submit before the deadline of January 25, 2021
Documents to download, complete, and return:
- DRE Application Process form (includes more items to submit)
- DRE Application (incomplete applications will NOT be considered)
- DRE Commitment Pledge
- Signed DRE Evaluation Trip Explanation and Confirmation form
- Student Resume
- One page cover letter explaining your reasons for wanting to be a DRE and why you feel you are qualified
- Copy of your SFST certification
- Copy of your ARIDE certification
- Letter of recommendation from your chief/sheriff
- Letter of recommendation from a current DRE in good standing (recommended, but not required)
Please click on the links above to download the required forms, follow the directions, and submit the forms to Traffic Safety Program Manager/State DRE Coordinator Ken Slocum at email@example.com or mail to 26 Corporate Hill Drive, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205. Please remember, if you mail the packet it should be sent before the deadline of January 25, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.